Saturday, December 03, 2005

There are always... possibilities

Well, day before yesterday I had a full schedule. I was to see my big client, Bruce (owner of DirecSource, for whom I've already done one industrial film) who was to take me to his ad agency, and then I was supposed to go to Hollywood to attend an HD film festival to give them my demo reel for crew consideration.
Got to Moorpark and had a wonderful meeting with Bruce. He was so happy with his video that he took me to meet the owner of his ad agency. The meeting went well, with the owner saying he really liked my work and style (I have a style?) and would like to have me direct some projects for him soon. We'll see. Then he showed me some of their agency's work, and I had to gulp. This stuff was, in my humble opinion, FAR OUT of my league. I felt about 2 inches tall watching the quality of their work. This stuff was Super Bowl class. They must see something in me that I'm still trying to find. But, I love a challenge, and I'm not afraid to jump in with both hoofs. (I AM a Pony, after all). Bruce told me that he felt I showed great integrity in following through with his show even after my (now former) business partner Joseph and I broke up. He believed I would probably just bail with the money he'd already given us, and have to start from scratch with a more established company. Well, I was not gonna tarnish my rep, OR let the chance to make a cool film slip away, so I stuck to my promise and gave him what he paid for. I am glad I did not only as a matter of honor, but because it got some work for me and my friends and gave us all a great time as well.
So, Bruce and I are trying to come up with a concept for a short generic piece to be run on a loop at trade shows. Hopefully we'll do it before Christmas.
I also decided to take a chance, and told Bruce about my shower product idea. He felt it was a good idea, usable and practical, but he told me that marketing that or any other product is the hard part. Well, not for me, as I've already designed the ad campaign and given MUCH consideration to where, when, and how to present it. So, maybe I'll be able, with Bruce's help, to add "inventor" to my list of accomplishments.
Anyway, after our meeting, I headed for the show in Hollywood. I was running late, and traffic on the 101 wasn't helping. As I get to about the Laurel Cyn offramp, the car sufferes a TOTAL brake failure. Terrified, (well, okay, not terrified but just really concerned) I limped the car down the ramp and found a place to park on a safe section of the street. After getting help from a local friend, Ed Webster (and my old boss Joan) I bled the brakes, they responded just fine, and I hit the road again. Unfortunately, it had taken so much time that now I was hopelessly late. I decided not to go into Hollywood, and headed back north to the AV instead. Of course, I stopped at the Spa on the way, to unwind, clean-up, sit in the steam room for a while, and play with a couple of the guys, including this really hot African guy who let me worship his beautiful black ass for a while. Hey, I know I'm a nawddy little zeebra. So BAAAA!

No comments: