Monday, December 19, 2005

It's a CHRISTMAS TREE, dammit!

Okay, I'm all for political correctness, as long as it doesn't run amok, hamstringing us from being honest, or worse, accurate.
Apparently, this years' hot button issue is whether to call it a Christmas Tree or a Holiday Tree.

Gimme a fuckin' break!

I am not a Christian. For those keeping score, I lean toward Shamanism, with a strong Lakota/animist influence. I consider myself an Indian first, even though that only makes up about 25% of my bloodline, if that. But that's what I am. I am also a Liberal, and I most strongly identify with the Libertarian Party's ethos.
That being said, I am simply disgusted at how so many people or groups are creating a cultural war over celebration of the Holidays. Schools where Christmas Carols can't be sung, Holiday Pageants where the occasional Christmas hymn is verboten.

C'mon, people! Wake the FUCK up!!!!

As I said, I am not a Christian. I don't believe most of the "scriptures" about Jesus' life, and I do believe that he was born in Summer, not Dec. 25th. In fact, the ancient Christians (the same ones who were fed to lions or use as human streetlights as a result of proselytizing to the point of bullying) co-opted the pagan Winter Solstice holidays and rituals for their own, as a way to "shift the glory" (or the stink) onto a celebration of the birth of Christ.
Having said that, I still have to say that I personally have no problem with parks, schools, city halls, or other public areas displaying nativity scenes, crosses, or other Christian symbols, just like I also have no trouble with minorahs, Hanukkah bushes, Kwanzaa candles, and Santa Claus. And the fact is, that we as a nation celebrated Christmas and all the other Winter Holidays with no problems about coexistence (at least in my neighborhoods) for all the decades I've been around. Suddenly, you get some wannabe liberal "intellectual" who chooses the path of atheism, and just because he or she feels left out in the cold due to their lack of belief systems, now none of us can have fun if the atheist can't have fun.
At that point, it doesn't seem to be an issue of Separation of Church and State. Does anyone REALLY believe that putting a nativity scene on the lawn at city hall or a fire station is the same as passing legislation using The Bible as the foundation of your legal structure?
If atheists want to have their own way of observing (or NOT observing) the Holidays, fine with me. Personally, I think it's a hollow, empty way to live, myself. I feel that the Holidays are not only a wonderful tradition, blended from many cultures over the centuries, but also an important social and emotional release valve. Just as we sometimes need to vent a bit, and use something like sports (boxing, WWF, football, etc.) as a vicarious way of letting-off some steam, so too do we use The Holidays as the excuse many of us need to be and act happy for no apparent reason other than we feel good doing it, and we get to spread it around a bit. Celebrating in this way is important. It's good for the soul. In whatever way you do it. Personally, I'm a Major League Christmas fanatic. But I also find great joy in celebrating Kwanzaa, so I add some of that in there.
To those of you who think Christmas is just for kids, think again. It's more important for adults to be able to celebrate at years' end than you think. Ever wonder why so many people are grouchy this time of year? It's not the rush of shoppers, or the "false" cheer, or any of that. It's that they are afraid to go inside and let that inner child or animal dance for a while. They're afraid of seeming undignified, or just plain childish. It can often be very painful to confront childhood traumas or fears or disappointments. It's amazing to me how many people, when you ask why they hate Christmas, always start with the "disguise" answer; 'It's too commercial' is the most popular stock response. When grilled further, after you peel away all the bullshit they've built-up over the years, you often hear that their dislike of Christmas is because 'Santa never brought me that ____ I asked for,' or worse, 'Christmas was just another day for my dad to get drunk and my mom to ruin the dinner,' or some other sour note.
So, because a few people had a negative experience with Christmas, they now want to make sure NOBODY gets to have a good experience for Christmas. That's how Grinches are born.
And that's just wrong.

To me, Christmas is about more than just presents under the tree. It's a time of year that energizes me, bringing back very warm memories of good times with friends and family, and the promise of more to come. I keep Christmas in my heart, so that even now, alone and homeless, I still can feel good celebrating it. This year, if I don't have anyone to spend it with (hopefully Eva) then I might actually go volunteer at a shelter, handing out meals. After all, someone needs to help at those kitchens, and there are lots of other homeless folks out there who are 'way worse off than me.
And, hey, I might meet some interesting people!

Mele Kalikimaka!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You ROCK - Pony -
We have almost the same religion -
Thanks for your honesty!!

LOVE your blog!!