Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Test results and other numbers tomorrow

Well, tomorrow I got to the doctor to see what the latest numbers are. I'm concerned about my throat. Lately, it feels swollen or as though there's something just below the larynx blocking my swallowing. Not painful, just annoying.

I have a motto in life: "Pizza... when it's hot, it's good! And when it's cold... it's still pretty good!" Well, I think I've tasted the exception to that motto. Went over to Costco and got a pizza tonight with everything on it. It tasted... boring. My God, a boring pizza?! Well, guess if you live long enough you're bound to see some weird shit, like boring pizza. Man, that's almost un-American! In fact I've had British food that was more interesting than that pizza. Oh, well.

Got the new TITANIC DVD the other day. Among the deleted scenes is one of Ida and Isadore Strauss on the Boat Deck trying to board a lifeboat, deciding to stay together when 1) the officer loading the boat allows women only, and 2) Ida refuses to leave her husband of 40 years. "Isadore, we've been together 40 years. Where you go, I go." I've always been moved when reading that account, but seeing it acted out in such a compelling scene I started to cry. I had to stay in my cubicle because I didn't want anyone to intrude, and just cried and cried over that scene, and what it means. Love that produces that kind of loyalty is something very hard to find. Will I ever be that lucky? If that had been me and my ex-boyfriend, he wouldv'e left me there in a hot second and saved himself. Does such selfless love and loyalty even exist anymore? One reason the Titanic has always captivated me (I've been an expert on the subject for over 30 years, now) is that I honestly believe I was on that ship, and died in the water with the others. Ever since I was a little kid, I've had very clear flashbacks to that moment. If reincarnation is real (and I say why not?) then I was there. I really remember the COLD, treading water, being pulled and buffeted by the suction of water pouring into (probably) the Number 2 funnel casing. Not being able to resist the pull. Uh, time to change the subject...

The DVD is well-produced, and my friend Ken Marschall is on there doing a historical commentary along with Don Lynch. Ken hasn't spoken to me in years now; I guess he must be mad at me. I hope not, as we were friends for years. I may never know, as he won't return my calls. Ken Marschall, in case you don't know, is the world's foremost Titanic artist. His work has been published for over 30 years in books, magazines, films, etc. James Cameron, on his 2001 expedition to Titanic, once said during a filming dive on the wreck: "I feel like I'm making a movie for one guy: Ken Marschall."

I'm about to put up a new webpage, one which has some of my videos streaming on it. Hopefully, this will direct more work my way.

Aloha!

No comments: