Friday, November 25, 2005

Turkey Day was Yesterday!

Well, another Thanksgiving has come and gone. It was a fairly nice day for me. I went over to my business partner Ed's house, dropped off the animals (Clancy, Batzinfluff, and Kitten) picked-up the food from the fridge, and headed for Eva's.
It was a clear, bright Autumn day in Cajon Pass as I headed down Hwy. 138 and Old Route 66. There were a couple of trains in the pass that day. I went down to Cajon Creek in Blue Cut, and the water was flowing well. It was falling and rushing over the rocks, it was slightly muddy, and COLD. It was a picture-perfect midday along the creek under the cottonwoods. As I was continuing on my way, I saw a longshot of Mt. Baldy, and the east end of the San Gabriel Mountains. They were rearing-up out of the desert floor just above San Bernardino and Rialto. But the western end of the view was obscured by a sudden wall of haze and smog so thick that it literally looked like a light version of a sandstorm or dustbowl coming at you across the prairie. It's leading edge was clearly evident, though slightly diffuse. The close-enough-to-touch mountain on the clear side became a flat, thin silhouette on the smog side. It was amazing, and as I'm looking at it, I suddenly think, "I grew up breathing in that shit!" It made me realize once again how glad I am to be living up here in the AV rather than down in that smog-bowl. As much as I love my home town of L.A., it has gotten too crowded and chaotic. Too bad, it's a great city.

Upon arriving at Eva's, I could see that about 70% -or so of the units in her complex were boarded-up. We had a nice Thanksgiving. All her stuff was packed, so we ate off styrofoam plates and watched DVD's and drank Sauvignon Blanc and smoked some weed, and just hung out. Eva really has lost some weight. For a change, her hair was undone from it's usual million cornrows, and was in two French braids on either side. Looked good. We all gettin' gray. Old hippies. The food was excellent, although my garlic bread was a bit chewy after nuking, but still with good flavor. I used margarine, granulated garlic, real fresh garlic minced, pepper, and an Italian-mix feta cheese. Slide that baby in the toaster oven for a few minutes, and OH MY GOD it's addictive!
At one point Kaelon came over. Abicuss! Damn, my nigga's getting ta be a man! He fuckin' 6' 3" and 235 pounds. He played his latest album tracks from the disk he's creating now. Some phat and wicked shit innat bitch! Oh, sorry. He a hip-hop rapper, so I kinda got funky wi' it fo' a sec, y'know? He's such a sweet young man, too. He has a girlfriend whom I only just met last night, but they been togetha for a while, now. She's very sweet and polite, and complements him well. She teaches 8th Grade English.
He just got a new pre-owned car two days ago. His other car is finally dying. He got it from a dealership, and it's nice. I think it's a 2004 Hyundai. It's small, with a black leather interior, and classy.
It sure was nice being around Eva for a while. I sure hope we can get some kind of home big enough for all of us.
We watched some other stuff on TV last night. Eva loves the mystery and true crime and cold cases shows, but we surfed around looking at different stuff. We watched a really bad Alec Baldwin thriller about an ex-co alcoholic in the bayous and it was so bad I don't even want to say any more. Then we watched South Park The Movie Bigger Longer Uncut, and I thought it was pretty funny. Then we watched some other stuff, all the while talking. But we both love to watch movies together, so that's what we did. In fact when some people say "This is 'our' song," we say that about a movie, and wouldn't ya know, they ran it last night. 'Our' movie is Close Encounters of The Third Kind. It was what she used to lure me into her clutches... er, uh, ...house, with a copy on VHS. We became lovers that day, back in 1980. So when we were watching it, Kaelon perked-up and commented on he remembers as a toddler me and Eva always watching that movie all those years ago. This time I told Eva about a girlfriend named Terri I had known during the early '80's who looked just like Melinda Dillon in Close Encounters. Eva and I never had any trouble discussing past or current lovers or sex buddies, or having them for that matter. Anyhow, it was good to see my boy again. Unfortunately, Thaeddy was at work and couldn't make it last night, but she may be with her mom today, though.
Had a lovely drive through a miles-clear desert night with a quarter moon casting a faint light. The lights of Palmdale and Lancaster were spread out along the horizon, and from 30 miles away were quite pretty. So was the area around Llano. In fact, what was a big open stretch of desert 25 years ago is a rural neighborhood today. Soon the Antelope Valley will look like the San Fernando Valley does today. But for now, here in the AV it still seems like it did to me in the early '60's in the San Fernando Valley. Farm-y and ranch-y but growing.
Ah, well. Happy Holiday Season!

No comments: