Friday, January 27, 2006

Wrangling Tarantulas!

Well, we shot most of the infomercial for Baron Hats over the last two days. The most cool part of the whole thing was getting to handle the tarantula. There's a scene where I bring the ruined, crushed fedora to Baron's for repair, and after I set the hat on the glass counter, a tarantula crawls out from underneath the hat and over my hand!

We rented a big, soft, furry brown tarantula from Peggy Woods Pet Emporium in Burbank. This spider was calm, easy to work with, docile, and even seemed to show some personality. She also became tired after numerous takes, and would tend to hunker down rather than walk after a while. But, all in all, she responded well, and became accustomed to me picking her up repeatedly. Mark was afraid to touch her, but Ed, Ray, and I had no problem with her.

Now the greenscreen shooting, and editing begins.

No comments: