Saturday, January 14, 2006

Why all the school violence?

I read with interest Ruben Rosario's piece on the statistics behind school shooters. One thing that was not addressed, however, was one of the underlying causes of such 'over-the-top' violence in young people. And that's the continuing portrayal of, and purveying of, violence on TV and, especially, in video games. When I attended high school, in the '70's, we had violence and bullying also. But, if it ever got physical, there were rarely weapons involved. I myself once brought an antique handgun to school, a Sears Baby Hammerless .22 caliber revolver, made in the 1890's. This gun was in working condition, though not loaded, and I proudly showed it to my teachers as a kind of "show and tell." One of my teachers even suggested I go to the library and do research on it, which I did. At NO POINT was there ever a concern that I was trying to cause an incident, and nothing ever came of it. I brought it because it was a fascinating antique, nothing more. I, too, was one of the students who was often bullied (for being a Hippie and Gay, both of which I am) but I learned that the only way to stop those threats was to stand up to the bullies, using only my wits, humor, and where needed, a fist or two.
That stopped the problem.
Today, most kids have XBox or PS2 video game systems, and the EXTREME majority of these games use some form of gun-type interface, where the whole point of the game is to shoot as many opponents as possible. Same with American television programs. We freak out about anything sexual (except when we're trying to sell a product) and yet seem to have no problem with allowing our kids to see, and vicariously practice, violence on screen. What do you expect the kids to then do when confronted with a real-life situation that appears untenable? Just what they've been taught: pick up that gun, just like at home, and blast 'em.
This type of thing is not the fault of guns.
It's the fault of every film and game maker who pushes these kinds of violent programs, and the fault of the parents who allow such a mindset to be instilled into their kids in the first place. Additionally, a major part of the problem lies in the fact that our young people are rarely taught any form of leadership skills, or inculcated with the concepts of taking responsibility for themselves, their circumstances, and those around them.
Lastly, it's also the fault of the well-meaning but misguided groups who have consistently eroded the teachers' and principals' rights to enact corporal punishment. With youngsters, life is black and white. They don't learn respect because it's the right way to behave, they learn to respect because they fear the consequences of acting otherwise. When I was a kid, I knew perfectly well that if I got out of line, my teacher or principal could give me a swat with a paddle. I received a total of 9 swats in my school career, most of which I deserved. Only when I grew into adulthood, and had to deal with others on an adult level and in business, did I learn the true "give-and-take" of being respectful to others in order to gain respect. Today, kids know they can disrespect their teachers and parents if they want, and there's almost nothing the teacher or parent can do about it without fear of a lawsuit or termination, or having some overbearing "child welfare" agency come down and remove the kid from the home and arrest the parent.
I am a Liberal. But even liberalism can be taken too far.

No comments: