Tuesday, January 10, 2006

10th anniversary of Mom's death

Well, it's January 11, 2006. Ten years ago today, my mother, Jean Elson, died of a prescription drug overdose. She was 70 years old, and if our genes are any indicator, could have made another 12-15 years.
Oh, well.
I had her cremated, and divided her remains up into two containers. One is the "urn" (a simple copper tooled box) and the other is the original cardboard and poly container they came from the crematorium in. Also, her ID tag from the crematorium is now one of my most cherished posessions. It says "Heritage Crematory," and is a round metal dog license-type of tag. It hangs on my Freedom Ring necklace.
After her death I started taking small amounts of her "ashes" and scattering them at the places we used to love visiting when I was a kid. Vasquez' Rocks, the rose garden at the L.A. County Natural History Museum, Hansen Dam, etc., all have a bit of Mom there now.
I wish everyone couldv'e had as great a mom as I did.
So, with that in mind, to my siblings, Elisabeth, Bobby, Steve, I know in my heart that Mom would have been very happy to know the adults you've become. I know I'm thrilled to know you.

Aloha

No comments: