Thursday, January 26, 2006

Operating at only 70%

Well, I had to go to the hospital twice in the last week. The first time was to be given an antibiotic for a possible infection. The antibiotic they gave me is called Cipro.
I had to go back to the hospital day before yesterday because of the toxic side effects. The doctor, a pleasant Orthodox Jew, was very nice and easy to talk to. The only problem I had with him (and of course I never voiced this) was that, at about 5' 5" tall, this guy weighs at least 400 lbs! I mean, he was MORBIDLY obese.

Sorry for being an "ist" (ageist, racist, weight-ist, whatever) but I have a hard time taking seriously any advice on healthful living from a guy who looks like he'd need to be buried in a piano case.
When it came time for him to ask why I wasn't on AIDS meds yet, I explained my hesitancy, owing to the fact that many of the drug companies are still using us as guinea pigs, and honestly have no clue as to how to deal with this disease. The whole reason you're given a two-, three-, or four-drug "cocktail" is that the main drug you take is HIGHLY POISONOUS. The other drugs are to deal with the debilitating side effects.
So, of course this guy takes the standard AMA partyline bullshit, about how "Yeah, I suppose alternative medicine has it's place, but not in treating AIDS. Now is not the time for you to experiment."
He tells me that my nausea is because this antibiotic has stripped all the beneficial flora from my system, so pretty-much anything I eat is going to act like untreated well-water from The Congo. He suggests that i try some Acidophylous milk. I do, and it seems OK the first night, but the second night I take one swig, and ten minutes later I'm barfing my guts out.
Turns out, I check on the Web about side effects from this drug, and it says nausea and vomiting are the most popular, and to go to the hospital IMMEDIATELY should you have these symptoms.

Isn't Western medicine wonderful?

No comments: